Thomas Lynn

Members of the State Navies of the world
Suzy
Able Seaman

Thomas Lynn

Post by Suzy »

My Gt x 5 Grandfather was Thomas Lynn, he has a long Navy history which is documented on here. I have been trying to find out his birth date and where he was born but have had no luck. Would there be any records such as a cadetship record that would have them, or can anyone point me in the right direction. Many Thanks.
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Thomas Lynn

Post by Cy »

Hi Suzy

Thomas Lynn, lieutenant of 1746, has no extant passing certificate which may have indicated an approximate age. The only thing we can say is that to pass the examination and become a lieutenant he 'should' be more than 20 years of age and have 6 years sea service. This would suggest a date of birth no later than c.1726.

If you have other information available on his family or death I would like to add it to then site if possible.

Cy
OK, it was me, probably!
Navclio
Captain

Post by Navclio »

He made post on November 10, 1756 (John Charnock, Biographia Navalis [1798 ed.], VI, 187). John Hardy, A Chronological List of the Captains of His Majesty's Royal Navy (1784) says he was reduced in rank by a court-martial in the East Indies but was reinstated in 1763 and was retired as a superannuated rear admiral. On the list of captains in Isaac Schomberg, Naval Chronology (1815), VI, 333 as "Thomas Lynx." No birthdates. Schomberg gives a little more info on the circumstances of his rank reduction.
Suzy
Able Seaman

Post by Suzy »

Thank you for info. Thomas Lynn married Jane Seymour from the noble Seymour family. I see you also have his son Captain Charles Seymour Lynn on here to. Would there be any info on his records indicating where his father Thomas was born. This is a long shot but would there be any portraits of them.