Confirmation of Promotions

Members of the State Navies of the world
HJVoth
Ships Boy

Confirmation of Promotions

Post by HJVoth »

Dear all,
first of all, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to 3decks - it is an amazing resource for historians!
I apologize if this is something that should be obvious, but I checked all the threads I could and didn't find the answer. I often come across officers whose date of comfirmation is given in their service career. For example, in the case of Thomas Meade, it says "Burford (70)1699-1719
British 70 Gun
3rd Rate Ship of the Line
, Captain and Commanding Officer ADM 6/8/25
Confirmed 1.11.1703"

Now, I understand this to be probably an appointment to a death vacancy, later confirmed by the Admiralty. Now, here is my question -- if we do NOT see this entry "confirmed XXX", is it safe to assume that the appointment was made directly by the Admiralty? Or do we just not know that in the majority of cases. Any advice much appreciated.
best regards,
Joachim Voth
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Confirmation of Promotions

Post by Cy »

Where a record shows a date of commission and a confirmed date, this is information is usually taken from the ADM 6 commissioning records. Sometimes this also includes a theater or station that the commission was issued at and the issueing officer. The station information is usually extrapolated from the commissioning officers appontments at that date, the ADM records only occasionally include that information specifically.

The lack confirmatory information would generally, I believe, indicate a commission issued directly by the admiralty, but like all records on Three Decks referal to the original source, and complemenatry sources as well if possible, is recommended for confirmation.

In Thomas Meade's case the commissions which were confirmed on the 10/11/1703 were all issued in the West Indies, the first three by Commodore Sir Hovenden Walker, the later three by Rear-Admiral John Graydon. I have updated Thomas Meade's records to show this (the commissioning officer and locaiton is a later addition to the Three Deck's data system, so is not always present).

If you have a few instances that you would like checking let me know and I'll see what I can do.
OK, it was me, probably!
HJVoth
Ships Boy

Re: Confirmation of Promotions

Post by HJVoth »

thanks a million!