Question on Multiple Richard Haddocks

Members of the State Navies of the world
Colorado Ocean
Ships Boy

Question on Multiple Richard Haddocks

Post by Colorado Ocean »

There were four Richard Haddocks in the Royal Navy including Admiral Sir Richard (1629-1715) and his son Richard (1674-1750), who eventually took his father's earlier post as Comptroller. According to CSORN, a third Richard made Captain 1672 and died 1678 also served; was he an uncle or nephew of Sir Richard? The fourth Richard was made Lt. 1740 and d1749. Can anyone provide birth dates and career details for the latter two?
Navclio
Captain

Re: Question on Multiple Richard Haddocks

Post by Navclio »

It took me a while to guess that "CSORN" might be David Syrett and R.L. DiNardo, The Commissioned Sea Officers of the Royal Navy, 1660–1815. I don't think "CSORN" is a standard or widely-known abbreviation, whatever it's for, so it would be wise to spell out the source.

According to the beginning of the article in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (which I think does have a standard abbreviation, ODNB) for Haddock, Sir Richard (c. 1629–1715), that officer's grandfather, Richard Haddock (c. 1581–1660) commanded ships in the Parliamentary and Commonwealth navy. I only have the beginning of the article because it is on the same page as the end of the article on Nicholas Haddock (1685?–1746).

About the Richard Haddock who was appointed captain of a fireship in 1672, John Charnock, Biographia Navalis, I, 334, says that he was "most probably, the son of Andrew Haddock, next brother to sir Richard," making him Sir Richard's nephew. Charnock does not often have birth dates and says of this Richard that after being appointed captain of three ships in rapid succession in 1690, when his uncle was one of the admirals commanding the fleet, he "in all probability, died or retired from the service soon afterwards" (I, 335). Charnock has some information about his service in 1672–73.

With Nicholas Haddock, youngest son of Sir Richard, holding the important Mediterranean command in 1738–42, it is odd that a Haddock who made lieutenant in 1740 was not promoted to captain before 1749; perhaps he contracted an illness that kept him further service and killed him by 1749; or perhaps he was not related to Nicholas and the other Richard Haddocks. Lieutenants are hard to trace. The best bet would probably be a Haddock geneaology page or Web site, which might indicate whose son or grandson he was and his birth and death dates.