Russian Fleet in the Mediterranean

1800-1899. Although we usually stop around 1860. If it's got iron sides we aren't interested and steam engines are problematical.
Andrew Bamford
Petty Officer

Russian Fleet in the Mediterranean

Post by Andrew Bamford »

As well as Cy's new book on Royal navy officers, today at Helion we've also released this title covering the operations of the Russian fleet under Senyavin between 1805 and 1810: https://www.helion.co.uk/military-histo ... 3MpFlV2B1Y
Navclio
Captain

Re: Russian Fleet in the Mediterranean

Post by Navclio »

Senyavin deserves to be better known outside Russia. The British navy was not the only successful navy of the FRAN wars. The sneers of nastily hyperchauvinistic British officers (Collingwood: Senyavin's victory at Athos or Lemnos was "a sort of a battle"; the ineffectual Duckworth, rejecting Senyavin's help for another try after his repulse in the Dardannelles: "where a British fleet had failed, no other was likely to succeed") were hardly justified: if the Russians were due no credit for defeating the Turks, how much should the British have had for Cape St. Vincent? Senyavin was left out on a limb by sudden changes in Russian foreign policy. I will be looking forward to finishing my own books on the 1740s so that I will have time to read Northern Tars in Southern Waters (good titles are hard to find☺).