Ship called Leostoff in 1760

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
jon_ystrad
Warrant Officer

Ship called Leostoff in 1760

Post by jon_ystrad »

Whilst tracing the history of the Penzance for my mini biography of William Gough, I came across an article from the Chester Courant, 5th February 1760 listing her among a lot of ships present at Plymouth. In order to copy that newspaper article up onto the webpage I was checking that I got the other ship names down correctly, but one near the end has flummoxed me.

Ships of War now in Plymouth harbour, viz, Barfleur, Colchester, Windsor, Ramillies, Valiant, Temple, Rippon, Bienfaisant, Foudroyant, Faulkland, Kingston, Penzance, Achilles, Shrewsbury, Sapphire, Melampe, Firm, Actaeon, Venus, Scorpion, Pallas, Fortune, Torbay, Nottingham, Revenge, Brilliant, Nightingale, Juno, Unicorn, Duke, Maidstone, Rochester, Success, Leostoff, and Peggy.

I can see that Leostoff is an old name for Lowestoft, but I can find no ship named either Leostoff or Lowestoft in the database here. The ship listing appears to be in no particular order, unless it was physically what the reporter could see from furthest to nearest, or going along the lines, though the final ship listed Peggy is a sloop of 8 guns.

Does anyone have an identity on the Leostoff or a correction to my translation of the wording?

Thanks
le Spahi
Petty Officer

Re: Ship called Leostoff in 1760

Post by le Spahi »

According to me, the name is the right one...

"Before QUEBEC from 8th MAY, 1759, to 17th MAY, 1760. Kept by colonel... The Leostoff 30 frigate and Hunter sloop of war attempted to sail past the..."

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44228125?seq=1
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

OK, it was me, probably!
jon_ystrad
Warrant Officer

Post by jon_ystrad »

Thank you, that's great. Will be very useful when I'm piecing this campaign together