Help with a translation

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Help with a translation

Post by andreu_wargames »

Good morning,
Can someone explain to me what the following sentence means: The ship "knocking out her lower tier" as they approached, seemed very formidable.

I speak Spanish and other romance languages but I don't understand the meaning of the sentence and the automatic translators are useless.

Thank you very much,
Andreu
jon_ystrad
Warrant Officer

Re: Help with a translation

Post by jon_ystrad »

I don't know, but talk of a lower tier, would be the guns on the lower deck. I assume "knocking out" refers to opening the ports and running the guns out. But, as I say, this is my assumption. The ship would not normally sail with the lower tier's ports open as they were very close to the sea, maybe less than 2 feet, so when clearing for action that is the time they would open the ports and run the guns out. Unless someone has a better guess?
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Yes, I imagined it would be something similar, but let's see if you have any better ideas.
The Galga had a whole series of lower gun ports and a pair of 18-pounder guns. I could open those ports to intimidate.

Best regards,
Andreu
Navclio
Captain

Post by Navclio »

I tried twice to reply but each time I logged in, wrote a reply, and clicked on "submit" it demanded my username and password AGAIN. If this message appears, I won't know why. I think I could help but I'm not going to write again. Sorry.
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Don't leave me like this! Rest and give me your answer, please !!!! :D
Navclio
Captain

Post by Navclio »

I'm confused about whether you are trying to translate from Spanish to English or the quoted sentence is a Google Translate English version of a Spanish sentence. That information and the rest of the paragraph, the sentences before and after the one quoted, would be helpful.
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Good evening,

No, it's a phrase from an English-language book! But I don't understand it and the automatic translators are terrible.

That's why I was asking, in case someone could give me a more understandable explanation of the phrase.

Best regards,
Andreu