HMS Paisley - Charles Nevins commander

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

HMS Paisley - Charles Nevins commander

Post by andreu_wargames »

Does anyone have any information on the brig HMS Painsley under the command of Lieutenant Charles I. Nevins in 1800?

Greetings!
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: HMS Paisley - Charles Nevins commander

Post by Cy »

Hi

I'm assuming this is the hired brig Pasley https://threedecks.org/index.php?displa ... p&id=11523

There is no officer called Charles Nevins in the Royal Navy, the nearest name I can find is Charles James Niven, who was in service in 1800. https://threedecks.org/index.php?displa ... n&id=11026 but I can find no link to the Pasley.

Cy
OK, it was me, probably!
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Post by andreu_wargames »

I will give you all the data I have. You have to take into account that they are Spanish data and therefore the English names may have spelling mistakes. Here it goes:

Brig HMS Paisley 16x12-pounder carronades (and perhaps a couple of smaller pieces) commanded by Lieutenant Charles I. Nevins with a crew of 58 men. Captured in the Straits on 2 December 1800.

Captain Charles Nevins was court-martialled and acquitted.

Regards,
Andreu
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

OK, some more looking has happened.

FIrstly there are two hired brigs called Pasley, both also known as "Sir Thomas Pasley", the 1800 one, commanded by Charles James Niven ( I found a reference) and captured in December 1800, and the 1801 brig commanded by WIlliam Wooldridge.

The two are muddled up on Three Decks, I'll have to sort that out.
OK, it was me, probably!