H.M.S. Caledonia (1808)

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
Post Reply
JohnH
Warrant Officer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 am

H.M.S. Caledonia (1808)

Post by JohnH » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Modern references normally say Caledonia was ordered on 6 November 1794 as a 100-gun ship and redesigned as 120 guns in 1806 while under construction (e.g. Rif Winfield, British Warships ... 1817-1863, p. 8).

The caption on an early plan of Caledonia at the National Maritime Museum Greenwich (object id. ZAZ0105) reads ‘Navy Office 11 June 1796: Draught Proposed for Building in His Majesty’s Yard at Plymouth a Ship to carry 120 Carriage Guns prepared in pursuance of an Order from the Right Honble the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty Dated 15 December 1795.’

Its original armament (carriage guns only) is listed on the plan as: LD 32 x 32-pounders, MD 34 x 24-pounders, UD 34 x 18 pdrs, QD 16 x 12-pounders, FC 4 x 12-pounders.

So the redesign was ordered by the Board of Admiralty in late 1795 and completed in mid 1796.

Post Reply