18th Century Office Records

Everything and anything to do with those who went to sea or organised built owned or otherwise interfered with the sea.
enmnm
Able Seaman

18th Century Office Records

Post by enmnm »

I am researching a New Yorker who was said to have joined the British Navy in the late 1740s and was a Lieutenant, but left shortly thereafter to pursue other interests (he took a politically appointed position.) Is there any way to verify this? What was the process for becoming an officer...I thought you had to buy a commission? Would you then have to pay to get out of it? Was this a common thing to do...leave? Thanks in advance for any source documentation you can point me towards. Happy New Year! -EM
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: 18th Century Office Records

Post by Cy »

If you give his name it might help.

To be a lieutenant in the Royal Navy you could not buy a commission, that only happend in the British army. To be commissioned as a lieutenant you had to have a minimum of 6 years service, at least two as a midshipman or master's mate be at least 20 years of age (in theory at least) and then pass an examination held before a board of captains. Only then could you be issued a commission as a lieutenant.

It was possible to resign a commission, but was not a common occurance as you then forfited your half-pay.
OK, it was me, probably!
Navclio
Captain

Re: 18th Century Office Records

Post by Navclio »

In the 1740s, besides meeting the requirements that Cy has described, an aspiring officer had to be appointed to an actual vacancy on a ship in service. Small warships were entitled to only one lieutenant; the largest ships were entitled to five. Even if he had "passed" the lieutenants' examination, a man could only be given a commission as a lieutenant if some warship did not have as many lieutenants as it was allowed. This could occur from death, resignation, or promotion to commander or captain (through appointment to command a ship entitled to one).

For a time during the war of 1739–48, the sea-time requirement was reduced to four years.