"Private ship of war the Sampson"

Private men of war issued with a letter of marque, commission or letter of marque and reprisal.
Neil How
Ships Boy

"Private ship of war the Sampson"

Post by Neil How »

I have just come across a reference to the above ship, owned by a consortium of New Yorkers, in an official 1763 British West Indies colonial document and can find nothing further about it on this site. If the Forum Admin contact me I can send a copy of the document, as I find no way to post it here.
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: "Private ship of war the Sampson"

Post by Cy »

Hi

If you want to send the document to [email protected] I would be interested to see it.

Interesting as there is Privateer Sampson, https://threedecks.org/index.php?displa ... p&id=27686 issued with a letter of marque in 1758 (HCA 26/9/80 1758 March 25), but no other details known. May be the same ship.

There are three other references on the national archives discovery site to Letters of Marque for a Sampson, 1 in 1760 and 2 in 1761, but again no details available. (These are not yet on Three Decks)

regards

Cy)
OK, it was me, probably!
Grammont
Lieutenant

Post by Grammont »

Rhode Island in the colonial wars, A list of Rhode Island soldiers & sailors in the old French & Indian war, 1755-1762, by Howard M. Chapin has the following entry:

Phenix, Solomon of New York Commander of Privateer Sampson of New York. Recommissioned at Newport in 1759

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up;seq=113

Extremely useful publication as there are several hundred seamen listed. I'm presently going through the book listing the entries for each ship before entering them in Threedecks. Reached 'Eggleston' and the privateer George of Newport already has 46 individuals listed!
Neil How
Ships Boy

Post by Neil How »

"During the "Seven Years War," 1754 to 1763, Sampson Simpson owned four vessels, the Hardy, Polly, Union and Sampson, carrying a total of 26 guns, Hayman Levy had two vessels, Orleans and Dreadnought with a total of 14 guns."

American Jewish History: The Colonial and Early National Periods, 1654-1840, Volume 1 p.286

Also,
From Board of Trade Whitehall [London] Dec 11 1761.
"There is one other matter contained in your Letter to Us upon which We could have wished to have given you Our Sentiments by this opportunity, and that is the doubts which had occurr'd in the Case of the Captain and Crew of the Sampson Privateer, with respect to the want of an Authority to Try and Punish Persons guilty of Murder within the Admiralty Jurisdiction:"

The letters and papers of Cadwallader Colden ... 1711-[1775]
by Colden, Cadwallader, 1688-1776 Lieutenant governor for the Province of New York.