Nuestra Señora del Rosario - 1743

Private men of war issued with a letter of marque, commission or letter of marque and reprisal.
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Nuestra Señora del Rosario - 1743

Post by andreu_wargames »

Good evening,
I know of four privateers by that name. Only one has activity in 1743 but at a quick glance I don't have the date he was captured (it doesn't even appear that he was captured). I'll give you the details in case they are helpful.

Name: Nuestra Señora del Rosario y San Antonio
Home port: San Sebastian
Type: Queche
Captain: Juan Dutri
Ships captured: 1
Years of activity:1743

If I find out more I will let you know here.

Regards,
Andreu
jon_ystrad
Warrant Officer

Re: Nuestra Señora del Rosario - 1743

Post by jon_ystrad »

Hi, there are the kindle pages from British Warships of the Age of Sail [BWAS - Rif Winfield) for the Hampshire

The relevant text:-

9.4.1742. In 1743 under Capt. Edward Legge, still in Bay of Biscay; took Spanish privateer Nuestra Señora del Carmen 22.4.1743. In 9.1743 under Capt. George Murray, with Byng’s squadron off Cape Ortegal; took Spanish privateer Nuestra Señora del Rosario 10.12.1743;

Winfield, Rif. British Warships in the Age of Sail, 1714–1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates . Pen & Sword Books. Kindle Edition.

Best Regards
Jon
Attachments
hamp 1.jpg
hamp 1.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
hamp 2.jpg
hamp 2.jpg (198.58 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Good evening,

The "Nuestra Señora del Rosario" is most probably the ship I have put in the first post. There are five referenced by Otero Lana in his book but only one is mentioned for the last time in 1743. There is no Spanish data on its capture.

The "Virgen del Carmen" is like looking for John Smith in the New York guide. It is the advocation most used by the Spanish privateers.

I will check the Gazeta de Madrid for any news.

Best regards,
Andreu
andreu_wargames
Petty Officer

Santa Claus has arrived.

Likewise, the Intendant of the Navy of San Sebastian, with date of the 2nd of the present, reports that the Corsair Frigate Nuestra Señora del Rosario, its Captain Don Juan Dutri, took to that Port the English Ship named the Adelantada Galera de Londres, which was captured in 49* degrees of latitude, 80 leagues to the West of Cape Lisart with 362 Tons of Leaf Tobacco, 45. Tons of Tocho iron, 8M staves 10 quintals of Sazafras, a Barrel of Beaver Skins, and 100. planks of Walnut, which he took in the Ports of Mariland , and Virginia for the Port of London.

https://www.boe.es/diario_gazeta/comun/ ... 743-46.pdf

Greetings!