Privateers 1806

Private men of war issued with a letter of marque, commission or letter of marque and reprisal.
GinaGib
Ships Boy

Privateers 1806

Post by GinaGib »

Hello, This is a totally new subject for me, so apologies if I sound very ignorant! I am writing up the history of a relative and I have found from documents at The National Archives in London that in 1806 (exact date not specified), the ship she was travelling on to London from her home in Gibraltar was attacked by a Privateer and all her money was stolen. My question is, is there any more I can discover about the Privateer- ie which ships may have been sailing that route at that time? I am looking for anything at all a bit more specific that I can add to my story. Thank you for any help or advice offered.
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Privateers 1806

Post by Cy »

Hi Gina

You've not given us much to go on.

You will need to know at least the name of the ship your ancestor was sailing on, and the captain/master's name would help too.

If you do know that then there are a couple sources that might reveal the information, although having a better date would narrow the search down.

1/ The London Gazette
2/ Lloyd's list

Both are available to view online. See the threedecks site source list for links to these. https://threedecks.org/index.php?displa ... rce_search

Hope that helps.

Cy
OK, it was me, probably!
GinaGib
Ships Boy

Re: Privateers 1806

Post by GinaGib »

Many thanks for this, Cy. Unfortunately, I have nothing more to offer regarding the ship she travelled on, unless I can find her name on a passenger list somewhere, if such a thing existed. I have found plenty of those for early ships to Australia. I will follow your suggested leads and see what I can find. Thank you again for replying.
Gina