Forum Structure

Anything to help make the forum better. Especially if you have ideas about the structure.
Or errors, bugs and issues
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Forum Structure

Post by Cy »

Does this forum need individual groups for nations, companies etc. Does it need ship builders, designers, ports and dockyards as separate entities?
Anything else that is worth considering?

Let us know please.
OK, it was me, probably!
denAdmirant
Able Seaman

Re: Forum Structure

Post by denAdmirant »

Hurray for the forum!

If you do wish to break it down further, my suggestion would be to change "Warships" and "Mariners" into "Ships" and "People", and create subforums within those categories.

People is easy: Sailors (captains, admirals, seamen, etc); builders/designers; maybe politicians.

Ships is harder. Do you break it down by nation (or flag, at least) first, or something else? And if you do nation, is it worth having subforums of rates under that, or is that necessary?

Ship Building I suspect doesn't need subforums.

You could add a "Places" category covering ports, dockyards, and maybe even shipwrecks.

Battles could get confusing, but breaking it down by era might help that.

Looking forward to watching this place grow. :)
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

I think I will change the forum titles as you suggest, and I will add sub-forums for the battles, by era.

thanks
OK, it was me, probably!
denAdmirant
Able Seaman

Post by denAdmirant »

It's coming along nicely! But for the spam... -_-

I've thought of another category, though I'm not sure if you want this on the site or not - Art. A heading for sharing pictures or paintings of ships and the like. I'd include a gentle reminder that it ought to be used for real ships, or at least art inspired by real ships. So no flying gubbins! :P
Grammont
Lieutenant

Post by Grammont »

Should pirates have their own subforum under People as they don't really fit in any of the existing choices
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

Grammont wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 pm Should pirates have their own subforum under People as they don't really fit in any of the existing choices
I've added a Pirate sub-forum as suggested. All we need now is people to start asking stuff.
OK, it was me, probably!
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Naval Books, etc

Web pages
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

If you mean as sources for information, I think it's better to include them in the relevant existing forums. I don't think we need an additional area for them.
OK, it was me, probably!