Images on ship pages?

Anything to help make the forum better. Especially if you have ideas about the structure.
Or errors, bugs and issues
Beck
Able Seaman

Images on ship pages?

Post by Beck »

Hey guys,

Came across this amazing resource last night and had to sign up. I'm a huge fan of the age of sail and I want to learn more about the history of this time so the data you have here will hopefully help with my endeavour. Thank you for compiling it!!

After taking a look over some ships in your database I thought it might be a nice addition to have some images (where possible) on these pages?

For example it might be nice to include the ships blueprints. I know these are probably hard to get a hold of but I guess it could also be possible to include any art which represents the ship (traditional or modern types of arts) to give people an idea of what these ships may have looked like in their time.

Of course there are some surviving ships and photos of the exterior and interiors of these ships would be a great resource for any researchers I guess?

Just my 2p.

As mentioned I am trying to learn more on the subject and potentially build a ship in 3D. I just need to learn how to properly read blueprints (I'll post a topic elsewhere about that) but that's going off topic somewhat :)

Oh and one last thing, maybe a general forum area for people to introduce themselves and just chat about non-related subjects? Would be nice to get more integrated into the community if possible.

Thank you!
Beck.
Navclio
Captain

Re: Images on ship pages?

Post by Navclio »

That would be a huge job for Cy!

If you want to undertake modeling a sail-era warship, a good place to start would be the "Anatomy of the Ship" series of books. They were originally published by Conway Maritime Press and in the U.S. by the Naval Institute Press and are probably out of print, but you might be able to find used or library copies. In 1997–98 my father made a solid-hull model of HBMS Bellona, 74, from the AotS volume on that ship. The virtue of the AotS books is that they have very detailed plans of everything to a uniform scale. For Bellona, the scale is mostly 1:192, an odd ratio but in the old measurement system still used in the U.S., it's 1 inch = 16 feet. Some of the drawing are more detailed, at a scale of 1:96, and some are less detailed at 1:384, but these can be converted easily by making 50% or 200% photocopies. Jean Boudriot, Le vaisseau de 74 canons and its translation, The 74-gun Ship is a massive work of 4 volumes that has very detailed plans of everything pertaining to a French 74 of about 1782, I think taken from an actual design, but not named. There is also a book on British 50-gun ships by Rif Winfield, The 50-Gun Ship (Chatham Publishing, 1997) with detailed plans. The "Anatomy of the Ship" series includes the bomb vessel Grenado, a frigate, and, I think, HBMS Victory, and perhaps a few other vessels (HBMAV Bounty maybe?).
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Cy »

There are already some, very few, pages with images on them, just the one though is allowed.

The main problem is sourcing out of copyright images and finding time to upload them, together with the possible impact on hosting that several gigs worth of images may have.

One day I'll upgrade the system to allow multiple images and carousel like displays. One day....
OK, it was me, probably!
Beck
Able Seaman

Post by Beck »

Thanks for the reply, Cy. I understand it's a lot more data and work, just hadn't seen a suggestion so thought I'd bring it up.

Navclio, thank you for the detailed response! I'll try track down some of those books and probably end up making a new thread here eventually when I come to modeling a ship. Just need to find the time!

Thank you again!