War by Sail released!

The reason threedecks exists in the first place.
Demi-Saker
Petty Officer

War by Sail released!

Post by Demi-Saker »

War by Sail is now released!

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/290486/War-by-Sail

This project relied heavily on the resources here at threedecks, so thanks to everyone who maintains and contributes to this site!

War by Sail is a simple yet comprehensive age of sail wargame, aimed at small fleet actions of 3 to 30 ships per side, with a focus on historical accuracy and flavor.

Researched and playtested for 10 months, War by Sail includes detailed ship rosters for 20 different conflicts, spanning from 1563 to 1812. Generic units are also provided for the 1300 - 1550 period.

A Generic ship list is given for each period (such as "Third Rate", "Fourth Rate" etc.), as well as individual named ships (over 1,700 in total!), showing each ship's weaponry, size, maneuverability and suchlike. Get ready to learn how many Demi-Cannons and Culverins your favorite 17th century English ship had...

War by Sail emphasizes crew quality and morale, as well as real tactics of the periods, and carefully reflects changes in naval technology throughout the centuries.
Tom Jensen - ostfrontpublishing.com
schoon
Able Seaman

Re: War by Sail released!

Post by schoon »

Though this is much belated, I've only just discovered this set of rules. Congratulations!

The ship data is stellar, and more complete than I've seen for anything else.

One comment about the play aids that leapt out while I read through...

The wind and turning gauges either need to lasso or go under the ship miniature for proper use, and that can be a challenge. I'd almost prefer cutting them in half to make that less likely to disturb the placement of the miniature.

Overall, an amazing job, though!
Demi-Saker
Petty Officer

Re: War by Sail released!

Post by Demi-Saker »

Thanks Schoon - glad you're enjoying the rules!
Yes we usually just hold the wind & Turn aide above a ship when turning, it can be a little fiddly, but no worse than holding a tape measure while moving a miniature in my opinion. (also I take it you found the thing in the PDF!)

I don't check this forum very often (as you can tell from this very late reply), so better to contact me on [email protected]

Cheers - Tom
schoon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:26 pm Though this is much belated, I've only just discovered this set of rules. Congratulations!

The ship data is stellar, and more complete than I've seen for anything else.

One comment about the play aids that leapt out while I read through...

The wind and turning gauges either need to lasso or go under the ship miniature for proper use, and that can be a challenge. I'd almost prefer cutting them in half to make that less likely to disturb the placement of the miniature.

Overall, an amazing job, though!
Tom Jensen - ostfrontpublishing.com