Part Two of scenarios for Yardarm to Yardarm

The reason threedecks exists in the first place.
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Part Two of scenarios for Yardarm to Yardarm

Post by sgtfox »

Part Two- Yardarm to Yardarm Scenarios
This time, I’ve set up the scenarios with more specific starting points. That said, I’ve dropped the need for anyone to consult the Nationality Gunnery Chart. Both sides, in all scenarios, will proceed to the Main Gunnery Chart when firing. All of the vessels are starting just out of effective gunnery range, but the goal should be to get into Close Hailing Distance ASAP!

East of St. Thomas, 1801

H.M.S. Orestes encounters the Danish brig Nidelvin. Yes, Orestes was actually lost in the East Indies in 1799, but it was such a perfect match for Nidelvin, it was found and came back to the West Indies in 1801!

H.M.S. Orestes (18) b/s 9-short 9#, 1-18#c. 396 tons (builder’s measure). Royal Navy sloop. 11.998 points.

Game broadside- 3.3.
Game hull factor- 19.5 (adjusted).
Mast factor- Lower mast- 7. Topmast- 4. Topgallant mast- 2.
Surrender roll- When 20 hull points have been reached, roll percentage dice. +33 stops surrender until next roll is necessary.
Note: Treat 18#c as a short gun. This will give a broadside to roll for of 3.3. Three d20s of one color and one d20 of a different color will be thrown with one d10. If the different colored die is a hit, look at the d10 result. If it is 1-3, then count the odd colored die’s hit. 4-10 is a miss on the d10. Note: Remember to use the short gun part of the Main Gunnery Chart.

Versus

Nidelvin (18) b/s 9-18# short guns. 311 tons (builder’s measure). Danish brig. 11.9 points.

Game broadside- 3.5.
Game hull factor- 18.2
Mast factor- Lower mast- 5. Topmast- 3. Topgallant mast- 2.
Surrender roll- When 19 hull points have been reached, roll percentage dice. +51 stops surrender until next roll is necessary.

The ships begin the scenario 23cm. apart. Orestes is patrolling, from the due east, when she spies the Dane on patrol from due west. The wind is from the south, making each vessel start out broad reaching, while approaching each other.

Off the coast of Guernsey, 1804

The Guernsey privateer La Victoire has just left harbor. She encounters a French vessel and decides to let her get close enough to fight.

British privateer lugger La Victoire (12) b/s 6-12#c. 172 tons (builder’s measure). 7.38 pts
(adjusted).
Game broadside- 2.4.
Game hull factor- 10.14 (adjusted).
Mast factor- Lower mast- 3. Topmast- 2. Topgallant- 1.
Surrender roll- When 11 hull hits have been taken, roll percentage dice. +54 saves surrender until next necessary roll.

Versus

French privateer brig General Ernouf (20) b/s 1-4#, 9-12#c. 211 tons (builder’s measure) 7.48 pts.
Game broadside- 2.2.
Game hull factor- 11.43.
Mast factor- Lower mast- 4. Topmast- 2. Topgallant- 1.
Surrender roll- When 12 hull points have been taken, roll percentage dice. +46 saves surrender until next necessary roll.

Vessels begin the scenario 23cm. apart. La Victoire is on a westerly heading. General Ernouf is heading north. The wind is from the south, giving Ernouf the weather gauge. The French think that La Victoire is a merchant lugger, while the British surmise that General Ernouf is a privateer. Both are principally armed with carronades. Treat Ernouf’s 4# as if it were a carronade, thus adding it to the broadside value. The 2.2 broadside was figured with the 4# gun in the mix as a carronade.

Chesapeake Bay, 1778

H.M.S. Rose (20) b/s 10-9#. 450 tons (builder’s measure). 12.32 points (adjusted).
Game broadside- 3.0.
Game hull factor- 21.97 (adjusted).
Mast factor- Lower mast- 8. Topmast- 5. Topgallant- 2.
Surrender roll- When 22 hull points have been taken, roll percentage dice. +68 saves surrender until next necessary roll.

Versus

Menagere (18) b/s 9-8#, 2-6#. 543 tons (builder’s measure). French Royal Navy corvette. 12.85 points (adjusted).
Game broadside- 2.5 (adjusted).
Game hull factor- 26.04.
Mast factor- Lower mast- 9. Topmast- 6. Topgallant- 3.
Surrender roll- When 27 hull points are taken, roll percentage dice. +47 saves surrender until next necessary roll.

H.M.S. Rose is patrolling on a southerly course (running before the wind). Wind is from the north. Menagerie is 23cm. away, with a westerly course (broad reaching).

Note: A fun fact about the Rose is that a several years ago, a replica of her was built for sail training. She was then stationed on the east coast of the United States. When the movie Master and Commander was to be made, she was purchased by the movie company. When filming was completed, in Baja, Mexico, she ended up on display at the San Diego Maritime Museum as H.M.S. Surprise. Rose was a twenty gun post ship, whereas the real Surprise carried 24-9#, 8-4#, and 4-12#c. She was also larger at about 579 tons. They charge between $15.00 and $20.00 to see the several ships they have there. San Diego is beautiful, but if you decide to move there, think London prices for housing!

1811, off the coast of Corsica

H.M.S. Alacrity (18) 383 tons. (builder’s measure) b/s 1-6#, 8-32#c. Royal Navy brig-sloop. 16.95 points (adjusted.)
Game broadside- 5.3. (Is principally carronade-armed. Treat 6# as a carronade, for simplicity.)
Game hull factor- 24.36 (adjusted.)
Mast factor- Lower mast- 6. Topmast- 4. Topgallant mast- 2.
Surrender roll- When 25 hull points have been taken, roll percentage dice. +54 saves surrender until next roll necessary.

Versus

Abeille (20) 311 tons (builder’s measure.) 1-6#, 8-24#c. Imperial French brig. 17.97 points.
Game broadside- 6.6. (Is principally carronade-armed. Treat 6# as a carronade for range.)
Game hull factor- 20.92.
Mast factor- Lower mast- 5. Topmast- 3. Topgallant mast- 2.
Surrender roll- When 21 hull points have been taken, roll percentage dice. +46 saves surrender until next roll is necessary.

Wind is from the south. Alacrity starts 23cm. from Abeille. Alacrity’s heading is NW, which sees her quarter reaching. Abeille’s heading is ESE, which puts her in a beating attitude.
I had to REALLY adjust to make this one even. In the real matchup, Abeille was hopelessly outgunned, with a smaller vessel. Alacrity was a bit under crewed. Abeille’s young captain continuously outmaneuvered Alacrity. This caused her to take many raking shots. Eventually, key losses aboard Alacrity forced her to surrender to the lighter French opponent. To even things up, I threw out the normal average surrender data and gunnery as well. It actual fact, Abeille fired at 100% of her potential (on the Main Gunnery Chart that would spell out her chances of a low hit as 50%), while Alacrity fired at 40% of her potential (or 20% on the MGC), which would come out to her needing to roll +17 for each hit. I adjusted for Abeille’s better gunnery being caused by rakes. It will be up to the French player in this scenario to get into a raking position. I still had to increase Alacrity’s hull factor just to give her a chance against Abeille. In the end, I always check the balance by taking half of a vessel’s broadside and dividing it into their enemy’s hull factor. When I do the same in reverse, and both show that they could cause surrender in the same amount of turns, then I have a well-balanced scenario.
RogerCooper
Ships Boy

Re: Part Two of scenarios for Yardarm to Yardarm

Post by RogerCooper »

Could you post a link to your rules?
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Re: Part Two of scenarios for Yardarm to Yardarm

Post by sgtfox »

Sorry, they are not printed anywhere. I'm not very tech savvy. The best I can do is leave a few thoughts on this site.