Greek Sloop-of-War Karteria (Perseverance) 1826-1831

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Re: Greek Sloop-of-War Karteria (Perseverance) 1826-1831

Post by AvM »

Lloyd's List - Tuesday 24 April 1827
Plymonth, 22d April.
Thfe Enterprise Steamer, Crosbie, from Malta, was towed here to-day by H.M.S. ColOmbine, haying burst one of the boilers.’*
Morning Chronicle - Friday 27 April 1827
Enterprise, Plymouth Sound, April 22,-1827
DEAR SIR Unforeseen events have brough us to this anchor- age; your Son will be able to give you every informoatioti on that point. I am extremely glad it is fin my power to say the manchery certainly exceeds my expectations, I had no idea, being so deep in th'e water, the velocity of the vessel would be so great as it has been; and the engines wrork very well and steady. The whole of the machinery has stood very firm alhough last~ Friday night was very boisterous. and the vessel rolled tremendously heavy, nothing started. We are exrremely short of stokes, consequnetly, could not keep the fires so weIl up as we could wish.
I am, dear Sir,
Your most obedient Servant,
T. SACKVILLE CROSBIEI,Commander.
To Mr. Alex. Galloway, London
Globe - Friday 22 June 1827
The steam-ship Enterprise, Lieut. Crosbie, at anchor in the Sound, waiting a fair wind to proceed ti Malta. Plymouth Journal.
Manchester Mercury - Tuesday 30 October 1827
Zante , Sept 30
The Enterprise steamboat, commanded by Captain Crosby, cast anchor here the and departed on the 25th, and departed on the following day to join Lord Cochrane.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Enterprise received builders certificate 24.06.1826
built Rothehithe 1826 by D.Brent
317 82/94t 149ft5inx26ft6inx11ft
was registered at London #626 on 17.07.1826
to T.SCrosbie
master T.S.Crosbie
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

Thanks Andreas. Lets pause for a moment to take stock of the data.

The three larger steamers built for the Greek revolutionaries were named Perseverance (later Karteria), Enterprize (later Epicheirisis) and Irresistable (was to have been renamed Akatamahitos but destroyed by fire). The first two were built by Brent at Rotherhithe. The last is identified incorrectly by Douglas Dakin in Mariner’s Mirror as the later Hermes.

Note that the Greek names Karteria, Epicheirisis and Akatamahitos are straight translations of the English ones.

According to Dakin there were three smaller steamers named Mercury, Alert and Lasher. Mercury was in reality the later Hermes. It was built by Gordon at Deptford. Alert and Lasher never left England.

Do you know, Andreas, who built Irresistable, Alert and Lasher? Irresistable was completed so its builder should probably be available.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

John!

I do not know really, after 100s of years I have checked my notices, and it seems that was very good to refresh the data.

I have here very detzailed list of the Greek Navy done by Swedish consul in 1835, which I have received
some time ago by my late friend Prof. Ian Glete. There is PERSEVARANCE listed as the ony steamer.
I will add the these data latter.
There are only armamant 4x68pdrs guns and 4x68pdr carronades.

Note that in Model Shipwright published in 1980s an article with a model of "Epicheirisis",
but I do not found the copy easly.

You are corresct that all other names were direct translated names. For the another small steamer
any name as HERMES, etc will be then much better.

AvM
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

JohnH wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 am Do you know, Andreas, who built Irresistable, Alert and Lasher? Irresistable was completed so its builder should probably be available.
None was registerd.I have not found any Alert and Lasher till now not any s.v with such names built at Deptfors :(

I have such advertisement

Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser - Wednesday 22 August 1827
To be SOLD,
A Fine new STEAM VESSEL, of about 230 tons, with two Engines of 50-horse power each ; built entirly of oak, and copper-fastened; launched about two months ago. This Vessel hras been tried, and found to equal the fastest Steam Vessel in the River. She now lying opposite George’s Stairs, Deptford, and may viewed application at No. 9 Great St. Helen’s ; or at Grove-street Dock-yand.
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

Alert and Lasher appear in correspondence to Cochrane from Greek representatives in Britain dated April 1826. The correspondence was published by Andreas Lourrittes in Correspondence respecting the steam vessels which were intended to form the expedition to Greece (1827) and is cited by Dakin in Mariner's Mirror, vol 39 (1953), p. 214.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

JohnH wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 am Alert and Lasher appear in correspondence to Cochrane from Greek representatives in Britain dated April 1826. The correspondence was published by Andreas Lourrittes in Correspondence respecting the steam vessels which were intended to form the expedition to Greece (1827) and is cited by Dakin in Mariner's Mirror, vol 39 (1953), p. 214.
John!

I have that article since over 30 years, but the book I never saw.
Unfortunatele I have never saw any data relating with these steamers.

Interesting it is cited many times by German young professor Korinna Schönhärl
in her recent book of 2017

"Finanziers in Sehnsuchtsräumen: Europäische Banken und Griechenland im 19. Jahrhundert (Habilitationsschrif)
ISBN 978-3-525-36090-3
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Just have browsed the report on piracy in Greece.

Both HERMES and ENTERPRISE are described as very bad built,
so they could not be used in any action.

Brent built in the same time als ENTEPRIZE for the East India Company,
which went alone to India as the first steamer.

Brent built also formerly RISING SUN for Cochrana and his Chilean Patriot Navy.
RISING SUN sailed myny times Atlantic.

Her problem was central wheel like LONDON ENGINEER.
According to Cochrane the problem were weak engines of Maudslay,
which gives only 3mph. Perhaps that was the reason he went to Galloway.

Gordon built also East Inamen, and a few steamers.
He was not a accidentaly ship builder.