frigate KOLA

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
AvM
Rear-Admiral

frigate KOLA

Post by AvM »

I have some suggestions that the Arkhangelsk built frigate KOLA
was firstly offered to Greek Insurgents, but not purchased (Greeks have already $$$ problems with
US built frigates and UK built steamers ) so she was sold viaLondon to Egypt.

Does somebody saw any confirmation of the proposed sale to Greeks?

Note she was privately built! Very probably as a speculation.
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Re: frigate KOLA

Post by JohnH »

С.Ф. Огородников (=S.F. Ogorodnikov), История Архангельского порта (=Istoriia Arkhangel'skogo porta)(St Petersburg 1875) pp. 59-71 includes information about the construction of this ship, according to John Daly, Russian Seapower and the Eastern Question, p. 229 n. 13 (of Chapter 3).

I read almost no Russian so I cannot be sure of the book's contents. But copies are available on the internet at several Russian sites.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

JohnH wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:40 am С.Ф. Огородников (=S.F. Ogorodnikov), История Архангельского порта (=Istoriia Arkhangel'skogo porta)(St Petersburg 1875) pp. 59-71 includes information about the construction of this ship, according to John Daly, Russian Seapower and the Eastern Question, p. 229 n. 13 (of Chapter 3).
The pages cited are relating to early period 1728-1730
I have quickly browsed the book but till now nothing.
So I will look where is my copy of Daly.

PS.I saw that the ship was mentioned in some Russian publications, but I have never noted that she was built for Greeks.
After KOLA was sold to Egypt, ie enemies, the TSar prohibited building of warships for export.

в 1828 году на Быковской верфи у купца Амосова построен был 66-пушечный корабль «Кола», проданный англичанам и впоследствии поступивший во флот Египетского паши.
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

Unfortunately Daly is not always reliable. I have found various mistakes, including misleading citations, in his book. It is a pity given his wide-ranging research.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Morning Advertiser - Monday 16 August 1830
The Kola frigate, J. B. Prissick, R.N., Commander, which has been lying in the Sound for some weeks past, sailed for Alexandria on Sunday. This large double-banked frigate was built in Archangel, and bought in London for the Pacha of Egypt. She measures 1030 tons, and is to mount sixty-fonr 32-pounder carrouades and long guns; she lias at present only two long guns on board, and unfinished state; her ports are not ent, nor she coppered.
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

I have found a little more information in a French-language source which published despatches of the period from Russian archives in Egypt: René Cattaui Le règne de Mohammed Aly d'après les archives russes en Égypte, 3 vols (la Société royale de géographie d'Égypte, 1931-1936). Sorry about the convoluted wording but it is in the original.

The Russian consul at Alexandria wrote on 14 October 1830:

"Le pacha d'Égypte attend une frégate à deux batteries construite à Arkhangel, qui du être armée à Londres. M. le conseiller d'Etat Benkhauser, consul général à Londres, en me faisant connaître sous la date du 2 juillet par son office sub n° 69, reçu ici, qu'un navire portant le nom Kola avait abordé dans la Tamise sous pavillon marchand russe, comme appartenant à M. William Alorgan d'Arkhangel et devant être expédié de Londres à Alexandrie pour être vendu à Mohamed Aly, me recommandait de retirer, lors de la vente, tous les documents de bord.” = “The Pasha of Egypt is awaiting a two-battery frigate built at Arkhangel, to be armed in London. State Counselor Benkhauser, Consul General in London, informing me in his office sub no. 69 of 2 July, received here, that a vessel bearing the name Kola had arrived in the Thames under the Russian merchant flag, belonging to Mr. William Alorgan of Arkhangel and to be sent from London to Alexandria for sale to Muhammad Ali, recommended that I remove, at the time of sale, all the documents on board.” (vol 1, p. 382)

The consul later reports the ship's arrival at Alexandria and deployment.
Grammont
Lieutenant

Post by Grammont »

L'Algérie by Jean Jacques Baron Baude (1840) lists the Egyptian Navy as it stood in 1838 and includes a frigate Kafrecheick built at Archangel. This must surely be the Kola and is already listed by Three Decks

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H36 ... &q&f=false

There is also a list of the Algeria navy as it stood in 1825 for anyone interested

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H36 ... &q&f=false
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

Yes, Kola was renamed in Egyptian service. A modern transliteration of its Egyptian name into Arabic is Kafr al-Shaykh (a city of Lower Egypt).

The Ottoman elite in Egypt spoke Ottoman Turkish which included many words of Arabic and Persian origin. Written Ottoman Turkish used the Arabic alphabet so the same written names can be transliterated into either Arabic or Turkish.

A detailed list of the Egyptian fleet on 1 January 1838 was published in Annales maritimes et coloniales: partie non-officielle, 1838, Vol. 2, pp. 1210–11. See link below.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=7P ... &q&f=false

Unfortunately the reproduction is not the best quality.

For those who are interested, I have just finished an article for Mariner's Mirror on the Egyptian Navy, 1805-1850. The article will appear in May but it is available online now on the Taylor and Francis website.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 19.1589113
JohnH
Warrant Officer

Post by JohnH »

Russian author Ted Sozaev has checked G. H. Bogoslavskii O Kupecheskom Sudostroenii v Rossii, Rechnom i Pribrezhnom (St. Petersburg 1859). It is stated on p. 19 that in 1828 a 66-gun ship was launched at the Bykovskaya yard of a merchant called Amosov and was then sold to the English. No mention of a possible sale to the Greeks.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

John!

I hava that book, it is available in the web.

There is a statisctical work, so there aqre no words, why the KOLA was built,
who, when payed for it, when she was sold, etc.

There are nice pictures of Russian local vessels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXf0Kfr556U