Portuguese lorchas

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Portuguese lorchas

Post by sgtfox »

I'm trying to find info on the lorchas used by the Portuguese Navy around the time of the Napoleonic period. The only info I've found is that they ranged from about 40-150 tons and carried 4-6, for smaller vessels, up to 20 for the larger vessels. The cannon ranged from 1-24 pounds. They had European style hulls, but were rigged as Chinese junks. Their hulls made them faster than the pirates they were chasing. The only other info I came up with was that they had about 15 crewmen on the smallest vessels. About half of the crew was Chinese.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Re: Portuguese lorchas

Post by AvM »

I have found only one lorcha in Napoleonic times
LEAO (Leão) armed at Macao in 1807 20t 30men 1gun 4pdr

There is AMAZONA Lorcha de guerra No.60
70x24x12ft depth x 9/6ft draught
16guns 4pdr 2x6pdr on pivots

[img]http://savepic.net/9435222.jpg[/img]
Last edited by AvM on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Picture of Lorcha from Portuguese pages

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ervYHjhRK84/VhVCVWaz2OI/AAAAAAAATX8/Tv5RyxjNaSk/s1600/china-merchants-lorchas-employed-in-guangdong-river-antique-print-1857-247171-p.jpg[/img]
Last edited by AvM on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Lorcha

[img]http://oldchinabooks.com/YangShen_eBook_Blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/portuguese-lorcha-from-donnely.jpg[/img]
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Post by sgtfox »

Vielen dank, Herr Von Mach! You seem to be far beyond the rest of us when it comes to researching smaller navies. You should write a book. You helped me before on Voy Age of Sail site, and it's greatly appreciated.
I see that you bought the book on the navy of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Do they have data for the measurements of the ships? I'm thinking of sending for it. I'm hoping to find specifics on their battles with the French and the navy of the Kingdom of Naples for wargaming purposes.
Thanks again,
Barry J. Fox
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

sgtfox wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm You should write a book. You helped me before on Voy Age of Sail site, and it's greatly appreciated.
A book is underway "Navies of the World 1816-1859". It should be publihed c2012-2013, but it still not completed.
Publisher will be SEAFORTH.
sgtfox wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm I see that you bought the book on the navy of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Do they have data for the measurements of the ships? I'm thinking of sending for it. I'm hoping to find specifics on their battles with the French and the navy of the Kingdom of Naples for wargaming purposes.
Thanks again,
Barry J. Fox
There are many books on the Two Sicilies (Neapolitan) Navy.

recently 4 volumes were published

[img]http://www.wed-italy.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x900/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/storia_della_marina_da_guerra_dei_borbone_di_napoli.jpg[/img]
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Post by sgtfox »

Good news about the book you are writing. I will look out for it. Actually, the book about the navy of the Two Sicilies I was referring to was Storia Della Marina Da Guerra Dei Borbone di Napoli Vol 2 You posted an ad for it on the Voy site in May of 2014. I would like to know if you think it is worth buying. It's not the money, it's the hassle of sending to Italy when I live in California. I would do it if it contains the length and width of all the warships as well as some specific battle history, so I can rate the navy for wargame purposes. I've already done it for the navy of the Kingdom of Naples under Murat. I would need info on casualties in ship to ship engagements with the French and Murat's navy.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

What kind data are you looking for?
sgtfox
Warrant Officer

Post by sgtfox »

I'm looking for the measurements of the ships so that I can convert them to British tonnage (BM.) I'm also looking for correct armament of the ships. Besides that, I need to know the amount of casualties for ship to ship encounters of the navy of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies so I can rate them for wargaming. I just need to know if you think I would find that kind of info in Storia della Marina da Guerra dei Borbone di Napoli if I were to send for it.
AvM
Rear-Admiral

Post by AvM »

Translating of BM is nearly not possible,