Santa Maria de San Vicente

Anything and everything about sailing vessels, be they warships, merchantmen or something completely different
Kemati
Ships Boy

Santa Maria de San Vicente

Post by Kemati »

Does anyone know any information about the ship, Santa Maria de San Vicente. Its not on the database and i cant find anything else on it, thanks.
Cy
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Santa Maria de San Vicente

Post by Cy »

I assume it's Spanish. Do you know anything else, dates events etc. Just giving a name means you're not going to get much.
OK, it was me, probably!
Navclio
Captain

Post by Navclio »

Where did you see or find the name (if in a book, title and author; if on a Web site, URL)? What did the source say about it? Was it a warship, a "treasure ship," a merchantmen, or what? Is there a place associated with it? Was it wrecked (if so, where?), did it sail out of a port (which one?), where was it headed? And as Cy asks, the date is critical. This isn't to be obnoxious, gratuitously difficult, evasive, or obstructive, but it's only with this kind of information--as much of it as you have--that anyone can provide you with anything more.

A quick and dirty Google search for "Santa Maria de San Vicente" in quotes (so that you will only get content that includes that exact literal string, not anything with any of the words "Santa," "Maria," "de" "San" and "Vicente" in any sequence or scattered about) turns up a Wikipedia article about a battle off the Bahamas in 1585 between a Spanish galleon of that name and an English vessel named Tiger, commanded by the notable British mariner Richard Grenville. Santa Maria de San Vicente eventually surrendered. Does any of this information correspond to what you know?
Navclio
Captain

Post by Navclio »

I wonder if Kemati ever came back and read the answers.